This is a healthy preparation made especially for pregnant ladies and infants.As both the moong daal/beans and dalia/broken wheat are individually very healthy,I prepared a khichdi and thought of sharing the recipe.
Benefits of dalia:
- Dalia improves digestion
- Dalia is high in protein but low in calories
- Dalia or cracked wheat helps reduce weight
- Dalia or broken wheat is a good source of energy
- Dalia helps reduce the risk of high blood pressure (high blood pressure cure).
- Dalia or broken wheat is a rich source of vitamin B1 and B2
Green Moong Beans are Nutritional Powerhouses
• Good source of protein
• Good source of dietary fibre (helps to lower cholesterol, prevents constipation and keeps you feeling full)
• Low in sodium
• Low in cholesterol
• Vitamins: A, B Vitamins (Thiamine, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid) Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Vitamin K.
• Minerals: Calcium, Potassium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Zinc, Copper and Manganese.
• Sprouted Green Moong Beans produce live enzymes
• Moong Beans are low on the glycemic index at 25 and have a low glycemic load of 4 making them a smart food choice for diabetics. Diabetics can safely eat Green Moong Beans. The low glycemic index, fibre and protein help to regulate blood sugar.
• They also contain skin anti-ageing properties that stimulate the production of hyaluronic acid, collagen, and elastic, all essential to younger healthier skin.
Preparation Time:5 minutes
Cooking Time:15 minutes
1 cup dalia/broken wheat
¼ cup fati moong/spit moong beans (soaked in water for 1 hour)
1 chopped onions
½ chopped tomato
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp ghee/clarified butter
¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
4 cups water
Salt to taste
In a pressure cooker, heat ghee/clarified butter and add cumin seeds for tempering. Add chopped onions and tomatoes and sauté them. Now, add dalia/ broken wheat and roast them for a couple of minutes. Once the flavour of roasted dalia starts to come, add moong beans soaked in water. Add salt and turmeric powder and water. Cover the cooker and cook in low heat. Once the cooker has whistled twice, turn off the heat and let the steam release.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with coriander chutney.
Note: You can also add vegetables of your choice to make it even more healthier and tastier.