Sattu is toasted gram flour used extensively in many parts of India.It is a nutritious indigenous drink and has cooling effect on the body as well. It is widely used in many sweet and savoury dishes. Sattu is also known as “Desi Horlicks” in the state of Bihar.
Being from Bihar,I have been drinking this tasty drink since childhood.It is a combo packed with goodness of health and taste.As the temperature rises in the month of May and June,one can find people selling sattu sharbat on the streets.Try having this magical drink empty stomach in the morning,you are sure to get rid of stomach problems.Include this in your daily diet and you will achieve glowing skin.This is tried and tested.
I will share some of the major benefits of this drink: (courtesy:ZeeMedia)
- It has a natural taste and easy to digest.
- It can be consumed by all age groups and hence is good for first solid feeds.
- The large insoluble fibre content in sattu makes it healthy for the intestines.
- It helps to flush out the oil consumed in the diet.
- It energises and refreshes immediately on consumption. Those who need a lot of stamina can rely on sattu.
- Growing children are advised an intake of 2 tsp of sattu a day to take care of their nutritional needs.
- It provides a balanced diet and also helps in achieving a glowing skin.
- Diabetic conditions and blood pressure patients find it easy to cope with by consuming sattu.
After reading this,I am sure you would be keen to know the recipe.Let me share my way of making this easy and healthy drink.
2 tsp Sattu or Roasted Bengal gram flour
1/2 tsp Salt
A pinch of Black Salt
Freshly crushed Black Pepper
1/2 tsp lemon juice
Fill a glass with 3/4 th of water and add sattu. Stir them to mix the sattu well in water.Once it has mixed well,fill the remaining glass with water.Add salt,lemon juice and black pepper.Add mint leaves.
Traditionally,in the streets of Bihar,people enjoy this drink topped with chopped onions and a piece of raw mango.
Hope you love this healthy and tasty sattu satrangi.